Thursday 6 December 2012

Saturday 1st December 2012 - Dubai

An early start with Ryan's wake up call and we were off again into the desert for a morning of quad biking and motor biking in the dunes.  After getting kitted out we were off!  We had such a fantastic few hours, speeding up and down the dunes.  It was the third time I had been quad biking but the first time we were just left to ourselves to do our own thing, and of course having Ryan to show us the ropes made it ten times more fun.

Ryan and Chris whizzed past me while I was getting more and more confident.  We even managed to see a desert gazelle in the distance.  There is a track marked out by poles but you do not have to follow the track and can do your own thing.  All was going brilliantly until I got too confident and went off the track with Ryan following behind me on his trail bike. 


Chris 'looking cool'
 
 Me 'looking cooler'
 
Me and Ryan 'having fun' 


As I came to the top a huge dune I realised that there was a sheer drop on the other side and it was too late for me to stop.  As I went over the top I felt myself going head first over the bike and then sliding down the banking.  The next thing I knew the bike had followed me down the hill and run into me!  I lay there stunned for a while and could hear Ryans bike and then Chris's bike stopping.  All I could think of was that if I had seriously injured myself our travel insurance didn't cover quad biking!!  Ryan and Chris eventually hauled me up and although stunned and shaking I took Ryan's advice and got 'back on the horse'.  Chris looked at my back and said it was a bit red and grazed which explained the fact that I was a bit sore and after another half an hour or so we were all tired so called it a day.

We headed back to our hotel for a shower, some painkillers and to empty our pockets of sand.  Ryan went off to meet a friend and Chris and I went to a local restaurant for supper - huge prawns, houmous, kebab, salad - yum.

Just a small prawn for me thanks!!

We then joined Ryan and went to his friend Christines who was having a party.  Everyone was so friendly and welcoming so we had a lovely evening with  people from all over the world who are living and working in Dubai. 

We headed back to our hotel late that evening very tired after our busy day.  When I looked in the mirror I realised that the impact with the quad bike had been more serious than I had realised as I was in a lot of pain and on looking in the mirror realised that I now had an enormous bruise on my back and bottom which was by now turning black.  Thank goodness Aunty Judi had given me a stash of painkillers as for the next 4 days I needed to take them regularly and could only sleep on one side! 

'The Bruiser'


Poor me!!!! AAH.

No comments:

Post a Comment